Tuesday, August 20, 2013

FEED ME SEYMOUR...

You may have seen on my Facebook,  or heard me talk at various times, about writing my book. Here is a little bit of what I have been doing since I was lucky enough to become free for the summer...


I have been trying to get myself organized so I can get this latest book out of my head, and on to the paper.  This one is a fiction book, set in Rehoboth Beach, about a girl who is opening an Irish bar. There's a stalker, a murder, love, laughter and drag queens.  I've also been working, at the same time, on the This is Me, Damn It book, trying to finish it up and arrange it correctly. 


As you can see, I so need to get my office up and running. Teaching myself the difference between THEN and THAN. How to keep my participles from dangling (it's never good to let those things just dangle )and my sentences from being in the 1st and 3rd person all at once. It's been a while since I've studied English and the written word. More precisely, how to write it, so it is correct and readable. Too many comma's, should I use a colon or a semi colon?  You see what I mean?


These are my notebooks for the Fiction book. One each for characters, the bar & the Irish details, the setting & the town, and the actual story outlines. I've got to place, buy and rehab a bar, in an existing town. So I need to know all about those details. Then I have basic Irish (gaelic) that I need to learn since the lead characters parents are immigrants who speak the Irish occasionally. The history of Rehoboth, the streets they will walk on, the shops they will pass.  Down to the lay out of the bar and where the dumpster will be - (there is a huge plot point that happens by the dumpsters - no NOT sex LOL)


This is 2/3rd's of  my magnetic poetry board, it keeps me a from getting stuck. When I feel like I am locked up I play around with it to get the juices flowing. I feel like I have so much running around my brain at once, that finding the quiet I need to have things sink in, is not happening. 


At the same time, I have yearning to learn all I can, FEED ME like Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors. Only mine is an insatiable hunger for knowledge. If I could, I would go back to school in a minute. If I didn't have to worry about money (hello lottery) I would study psychology. If I had to make money at the same time I was learning, I would study accounting. Forensic accounting to be exact w/ the basics to fall back on to earn $$. Forensic accounting is where you follow the money and investigate for the discrepancies. With my fraud and bookkeeping background I think it would be a great fit. I could work when I needed money and write the rest of the time. 

But, you need money to go to school, and that's something I don't have. So for now, I feed Seymour with my own lessons. And I write, write, write and oh yeah... I write.  

So that's what I'm doing on my summer vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment